Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Achievers Versus Underachievers


Beliefs that shape behavior

Achievers believe:
  • It’s okay if things get difficult
  • I’m responsible for my own happiness
  • Hard work is the key to success
  • Hard work and learning lead to pride
  • I’ve got what it takes to learn to solve most of the problems I face
  • I have control over my life

“What a challenge!  If I work hard, I can do it!”

Underachievers believe:
  • Life shouldn’t be hard
  • Other people are supposed to make me happy
  • I’m entitled to success and all of it’s perks
  • Hard work and learning create misery
  • I can’t learn and solve problems on my own
  • What happens to me is completely beyond my control

“Not fair!  This is too hard!”


Ways of modifying unhealthy beliefs:
  • Model healthy beliefs about hard work and learning through your own language and behavior.
  • On a daily basis, talk with excitement about your job and what you learn from it.
  • Set and enforce firm and loving limits.
  • Avoid giving your kids too much.  Make sure they understand that there is no such thing as a free meal.
  • Expect kids to make their fair share contributions to the home… and the school.
  • “Catch” them doing well and let them know.

0 comments: